Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, PC has unveiled a new line of fashionable tote bags for their patients. Like our pint-sized model displaying the new tote, we believe it’s the little things that go a long way when dealing with breast cancer and breast reconstruction.
When patients come into the office for breast reconstruction consultations, one thing that can happen is getting overwhelmed when learning about the different reconstruction options. It’s completely natural since there is a lot of information being exchanged and usually a lot of questions being generated.
That is why we are always looking for ways to reduce potential stressors for our patients. Whether it is a post-consultation discussion with me about the emotional weight of their surgery and the options discussed with the doctor or a Pre-Operative Guided Imagery session to quell some of the anxiety, we want to make sure everyone is comfortable and feel empowered about their path going forward.
When the decision is made to move forward with reconstruction surgery, we provide a “survival kit” of sorts that helps patients through every step of the recovery and post-operative process. The kit contains a fair amount of supplies, and the doctors and I have felt that there was a better way to distribute them...until now!
Let’s take a peek inside the breast reconstruction recovery kit:
· A femPower belt with pouches to hold the post-operative drains – this unique accessory was created by one of our patients.
· A drainage recording sheet to track drainage before emptying the drains
· Two pre-packed syringes to measure fluid in the JP drains
· A drain holder for showering – another helpful accessory
· DIEP, Implant, TUG, Latissimus Dorsi - Post Operative Instruction Sheet
· Patient Empowerment Program (PEP) packet of referrals for services
· Referral list for post-mastectomy Physical Therapy/Lymphedema specialists
· Referral list for post-mastectomy Certified Bra Fitters
I hope you all enjoy using the totes as much as it gave us the pleasure of creating them.
Clinical Director, Patient Empowerment Program
Photos: (top) a patient's daughter modeling the new tote bags (middle) opposite side of tote with NYBRA logo (bottom) femPower Belt