Even after you’ve worked hard to lose weight, build muscle, and become more fit, you might be left with stubborn fat deposits. Our experienced plastic surgeons perform body contouring procedures to help you refine your figure and enjoy the results of your efforts. These plastic surgery treatments can slim your body for a more attractive, proportional shape. One of the most popular and versatile body contouring procedures is liposuction, a minimally invasive treatment to dissolve and remove fat cells from virtually anywhere on your body. At our Long Island practice, we use the safe and effective tumescent liposuction technique to deliver beautiful results. Read on to learn more about this procedure and how it may benefit you.
What Is Tumescent Liposuction?
Tumescent liposuction is the most commonly used method of liposuction because it is extremely safe and effective. This method was introduced in the 1980s to remove fat cells without the discomfort and blood loss associated with the original procedure, which was created by French and Italian doctors in the 1970s.
This technique is referred to as “tumescent” or “swollen” liposuction because we inject saltwater, local anesthesia, and a drug called epinephrine into the treatment site, temporarily enlarging it. Diluted local anesthesia will keep you comfortable after the treatment, while epinephrine will constrict your blood vessels to minimize bleeding.
After administering this solution, your plastic surgeon will make small incisions to access the fatty deposits you wish to have removed. He will then use a tiny tube called a cannula to break apart and suction out your fat cells. Once your doctor has sufficiently slimmed the treatment area, he will suture your incision to complete the procedure.
Benefits of Tumescent Liposuction
Many patients prefer tumescent liposuction to other body contouring procedures or liposuction methods because:
- It has a relatively short recovery time. You should be able to return home the day of your procedure and most patients go back to work in about two days.
- It is a safe procedure. In particular, you do not have to worry about excessive blood loss with the tumescent technique.
- It can sculpt most areas of your body to suit your needs and preferences.
- It can be used in combination with other cosmetic surgery procedures. For example, some patients combine tumescent liposuction with a body lift to simultaneously remove excess fats and smooth skin after massive weight loss.
Are You a Candidate?
Many patients benefit from tumescent liposuction, but this procedure may not be right for everyone. You may be a good candidate for liposuction if you:
- Are at or within 30 percent of your ideal weight. Liposuction is not a suitable replacement for proper nutrition and activity. Losing significant weight after your procedure could interfere with your results.
- Have sufficiently elastic skin.
- Wish to remove fatty deposits rather than cellulite, which is a layer of fat that can form under your skin and cause a rippled appearance.
- Are in good overall health without any chronic conditions that could affect your healing or ability to undergo surgery.
- Are not allergic to lidocaine (the local anesthesia used) or epinephrine.
- Do not smoke or drink excessively.
Our plastic surgeons will examine your body, review your medical records, and discuss your concerns with you at your initial consultation to determine if you qualify for tumescent liposuction.
Learn More about Liposuction
This procedure can help you eliminate stubborn fat so you can experience the body you’ve always wanted. To learn more about tumescent liposuction or find out if you may be a good candidate for this treatment, contact our office to schedule an appointment with one of our outstanding plastic surgeons.